Friday, September 5, 2008

Paul finds the door to fairyland


We welcomed Paul Vincent Lester into the world and our family at 3:26AM on Thursday.

As Paul was on the threshold of birth, in a moment of calm between the violence of contractions, our midwife said “I always wonder what they are thinking at this point.” I’m not sure what he was thinking right then, but I think in the days leading up to birth babies begin to “get it”. They begin to think, “this is all very lovely, but there must be something more.” Perhaps Paul was thinking along these lines:

By the Babe Unborn

By G. K. Chesterton


If trees were tall and grasses short,

As in some crazy tale,

If here and there a sea were blue

Beyond the breaking pale,


If a fixed fire hung in the air

To warm me one day through,

If deep green hair grew on great hills,

I know what I should do.


In dark I lie: dreaming that there

Are great eyes cold or kind,

And twisted streets and silent doors,

And living men behind.


Let storm-clouds come: Better an hour,

And leave to weep and fight,

Then all the ages I have ruled

The empires of the night.


I think that if they give me leave

Within the world to stand,

I would be good through all the day

I spent in fairyland.


They should not hear a word from me

Of selfishness and scorn,

If only I could find the door,

If only I were born!


Welcome Paul, my son. You found the door. I’m your dad, and my job is to let you know, as big and wonderful as this new world seems, there’s one more Door to go through! Just like your heart began to long for more than the dark of the womb, you’ll begin to notice that the fixed fire in the air and deep green hair growing on great hills point to one more Place, your final destination. Let’s find that door together Paul, and be born once again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful welcome for Paul! I know great things are in store for him. He is already so blessed with you and Rosey and your strong faith lives. I am so blessed to be another part of that. Congratulations!